Monday, May 2, 2022

X00197 Christopher Place date of death - Solved!

Christopher Place is my 3rd Great-Grandfather. Finding his death information presented a bit of a challenge. I knew that it was likely before 1891 because he didn't appear in the 1891 census, but did appear in the 1881 census. The problem was that there were two individuals named Christopher Place who died in 1888 in Blackburn. Both worked in the cotton industry:


There's a Christopher Place who died 2 February 1888 in Oswaldtwistle, formerly a Cotton Carder and married to a Jane Place


Also, another Christopher Place who died 11 November 1888 in Blackburn, formerly a Cotton Sizer and married to a Nancy Place.

Prior to ordering the certificates, I wasn't sure which one was the correct one, because both of them matched the age and location. But I bought both of them to get more information. At the time, that I first discovered this, I wasn't entirely aware that Nancy Place was still alive in 1888 and so didn't know what to make of the two certificates. Not to mention, there was a marriage of a Christopher Place and a Jane just prior to 1888. But if I compare the two, the one with a death date of 11 November makes more sense because:
  • The location of Blackburn makes more sense than Oswaldtwistle
  • Nancy Place as a wife's name makes more sense
So, I've decided that the second one makes more sense. This is another closed X-File!

No comments:

Post a Comment