Monday, May 16, 2022

X00038 William Douglas Passenger List - Solved!


I finally managed to find a passenger list for William Douglas, my fourth great-grandfather.

I knew that he was born in Scotland and from the letters that he had sent, had relocated to Vermont to teach at a school there. I checked a number of passenger and immigration lists, including Filby's, but couldn't find anything.

I did find a mention in Volume 2 of A Dictionary of Scottish Immigrants to the U.S.A. by Donald Whyte:

All of the other information checked out, and it gave a date of "before 1825". I next was able to find a reference to a William Douglas, teacher, who arrived in New York from Scotland on the Sceptre on 24 July 1822.

Here is the port registration for the Sceptre:

And here's the actual passenger list:


No comments:

Post a Comment