Monday, April 4, 2022

X00219 George Milford Birth - Solved!

Tracking down the birth information for George Milford presented a bit of a challenge. I had a birth year of about 1850 from census records, as well as a location of Devonshire, England. But I couldn't find anything that was a good fit in the England birth registration lists.

So, I expanded my search to include more years which give some possibilities, but also created a new challged in that it created a number of possible candidates.

I did know the names of his parents - James Milford and Eliza Beard - from George's marriage records, so I checked the GRO's indexes (because you can search by the mother's maiden name as well) and looked for the maiden name of Beard. I still didn't find anything.

So I next took out the first name to see if I could find something under a variant first name. I found an entry for a Milford without a first name, so I decided to take a chance and order the certificate:


It turns out that it was the correct one - it appears that the baptismal name was added after the fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment