Monday, January 21, 2019

X00155 Thomas Williams death information - Solved!

Until recently the only sources that I had for Thomas Williams' [abt. 1792-1868] date of death were the Greenwood Cemetery Interment listings [D01131] and his tombstone.



Both are consistent with a date of death of 26 August 1868. Unfortunately, the date is before the start of civil registration in Ontario, so a death registration record wouldn't exist. I checked the Owen Sound newspapers from the time period, but none of them had a surviving death notice.

But recently, I checked in the listings for the Guelph Weekly Herald, given that he spent a great a deal of his life living in Guelph, Ontario. Sure enough, I found this listing:



Now the date given there is 22 August 1868. So there is a date conflict that needs to be resolved, but now I have an additional source for his date of death.

No comments:

Post a Comment