Monday, May 27, 2024

X00364 Maggie Doritty Timeline - Solved!

A number of years ago, when I was searching for records with the Doritty surname, I came across this gravestone record for a Margaret Doritty Taylor (1867-1936):



The location is St. Mark's Cemetery in Niagara and since the Doritty family lived in Niagara and a few of them are buried in St. Mark's cemetery, I figured that it is very likely that she is connected. But I was not able to find a record between a Margaret Doritty and a Charles Taylor.

I had a look at the Doritty names in my tree and and the only potential candidate was a Maggie Doritty born about 1868, Daughter of James Doritty and Mary Grace Gouland. But I had her marrying an Arthur J. Peppiatt in 1888, so I wasn't sure if this was the same one or not.

I found Dr. Charles Taylor and Maggie Taylor in the 1931 and 1921 Canadian Censuses, living in Toronto and him working as a physician. I did eventually manage to come across this news item from 1936:



Which not only links her to Dr. Charles J. Taylor, but also to the rest of the Doritty family. So it's definitely the same one. So, that mystery is solved although I still don't know what happened to Arthur J. Peppiatt or when Maggie Doritty married Dr. Charles J. Taylor. I found a border crossing record from 1918 where she is listed as Maggie Peppiatt, and she appears to be married to Charles Taylor in the 1921 census, so it was between 1918 and 1921 when she remarried. But that is a mystery for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment