Monday, January 3, 2022

X00349 Sorting out Nathaniel D'Eye d. 1773


I have a number of direct ancestors in my tree named Nathaniel D'Eye and a good number of them were members of the clergy. One in particular that I am looking at is my fifth great grandfather, Nathaniel D'Eye who died in 1773.

I had his year of birth down as 1737. But recently, I found another Nathaniel D'Eye listed on Find A Grave from the same parents who was supposedly born and died in 1737. There is no photo of the gravestone or inscription on Find A Grave so it hasn't been verified. But it has my thinking if I have the right year of birth or not. It's very unlikely that the parents could have had two children by the same name in the same year.

So, I went back to check my sources for the year of birth and found that it was "Ancestral File" and must have gone back to my early days of genealogy research when I wasn't so thorough with my research, and took the Ancestral File as a valid source. I suspect what likely happened is that someone found the 1737 baptism record for the Nathaniel who died young and took it as the baptism record for the Nathaniel who died in 1773. So, now it's time to start checking for the original records. More to come....

No comments:

Post a Comment