Monday, July 19, 2021

X00291 Update

In my search to find what happened to Hester Sophia Williams, I was looking into the possibility that she may have stayed in England rather than come to Canada with the family. I did come across a marriage record from 1853 in Cornwall, England between a Hester Ann Williams and a Henry Pascoe.


On the plus side, the year of birth is close (1831 vs 1833), and the name of the father is also Thomas Williams. Plus, the location of Cornwall is not far off from where the family originated.

On the negative side, the name is off (Hester Ann vs Hester Sophia) and the father's occupation is given as a miner (as far as I can make it out). I decided to dig a bit further, and managed to find a baptism record for the Hester Ann Williams who appears in the marriage record:


Unfortunately, this would appear to be a different person than the one I'm looking for. The mother's name is different, and of course, I've already found the baptism record for Hester Sophia Williams.

So, the search continues. I do think that it is unlikely that she would have stayed in England by herself at age ten, but I want to look for all possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment