Monday, April 19, 2021

X00242 Who is Mary Hardy - Solved!

While searching the Hardy family, I came across a death registration from 1878 for a Mary Hardy:



There were a few things about this death registration that caught my attention and had my thinking that there might be a connection:
  • Obviously the Hardy surname
  • The location of Toronto Township, which is where the Hardys were living in 1878
  • The religion of Methodist, which matches the Hardy family
  • Her profession being listed as a carpenter's wife and the informant being a John P. Hardy.

The last bullet point in particular caught my attention because Jehonadab Hardy, who is part of my Hardy family was a carpenter and did sometimes go by the name John. And he was married to a Mary Ann Foster. But Mary Ann Foster appears in later records beyond 1878. So, it had me thinking, did I have something wrong in my research? Could Mary Ann have died earlier? Or could Jehanadab been married to a different Mary at some point?

Double checking my research I found that there was a different John P. Hardy living in Streetsville at the time who was a carpenter and was married to a Mary at one point. This John P. Hardy was the son of a William Hardy (again, different from the one in my Hardy family). So the issue has been solved. But from a lot of derivative sources out there, I see that there is some confusion out there between the John/Jehodab Hardys and the William Hardys that I'll need to be conscious of.

No comments:

Post a Comment