Monday, November 23, 2020

X00116 John J. Douglas and Janet Kennedy Marriage Record

I have been trying to locate a marriage record for John James Douglas [1860-1938] and Janet Highet Kennedy [1866-1898].

I know when the marriage occurred and where, thanks to this news article from the Owen Sound Advertiser dated 23 December 1886:



Transcription: Married: In the Methodist Church, Tara, on the 16th December, by the Rev. R. W. Williams, John J. Douglas, Jeweler, to Janet H. Kennedy, daughter of Dr. Kennedy, all of Owen Sound. [D05698]

So, I know that it occurred in Tara, Bruce County on 16 December 1886. But I haven't been able to find it in the Ontario Marriage Registrations, seaching under the names of both the bride and the groom. I have even gone through all of the marriages registered on that date and still haven't found it. So, I'm going to conclude that this was one of the marriage registrations that was not registered - as marriage registrations were not required in Ontario at the time. There may be church records out there for this marriage, but as far as the search for the registration, I'm going to consider this one case closed.



Sources:

[D05698] (Owen Sound) The Advertiser, Owen Sound, 23 December 1886, p. 2, col. 4. Rec. Date: 8 Feb 2019.

No comments:

Post a Comment