Friday, November 9, 2018

Marriage Date Found: Adam Smith & Kate Williams

I just realized that it has been a few months since I've posted here. So, here's a quick update. I'm currently working on researching some branches of the Williams family, in particular the Smith family of Eugenia Falls, Ontario.

I was trying to determine the date of marriage for Adam Smith and Kate J. Williams. All evidence pointed to about 1880; their first child was born in 1881, and an article I found suggested that they got married about a year and a half after her older sister Jane Emily Williams married William Henry Madden. The date of that marriage was July 2 1879. So, towards the end of 1880 would seem the most likely date.

The problem is that I couldn't find them in the civil registration marriages for Ontario. So I had a look in the newspapers next. Fortunately, the Grey Highlands Public Library has a collection of Grey Highlands newspapers. I found this article in the Markdale Standard, Dec 3 1880:



The article suggests that the marriage had occurred recently, but didn't give an exact date. I checked earlier newspapers, but found no mention of the actual date. So, knowing that both husband and wife lived past 1930, I decided to look for a 50th anniversary article and found one in the 29 October 1930 issue of Flesherton Advance that mentioned they celebrated their golden wedding anniversary on 23 October 1930. So there you have it, I was able to find their marriage date of 23 October 1880 via a roundabout way

No comments:

Post a Comment