Monday, May 31, 2021

X00216 The Trafalgar Hardy Letter


In 2017 Summer newsletter of the Trafalgar Township Historical Society, there's a mention of a letter in their archives written in 1855 from a Mary Hardy to her sister Elizabeth in Yorkshire, England. Given the surname Hardy and the timeline, I was curious to know if this Mary Hardy was connected to my Hardy family. I have not found any evidence of the family being located in Trafalgar Township, but it's not that far from Churchville, so it could be a possibility.

The article mentions that the letter was written by Mary Buckton Hardy (1801-1881) who married a George Hardy. Interestingly enough, I had previously come across and photographed both of their gravestones at St. Peter's Anglican, Erindale when I was looking for the gravestone of Lancelot Hardy.


Knowing this, I could now solve a couple of mysteries at the same time - the first as to whether the letter was connected to my family and the second as to whether the George and Mary Hardy buried in St. Peter's Anglican Cemetery were connected.

George Hardy died in 1850, which is before civil registration began in Ontario, but I was able to find Mary Hardy's death registration:



Unfortunately, it doesn't give anything additional to confirm or rule out a connection between the two families. I have since found evidence of a marriage between a George Hardy and a Mary Buckton 30 December 1830 in Kirk-Leatham, Yorkshire, England. The original record may give some more information about George's background, but I'd need to get that from a Family Search Centre or Family Search affiliate library. Stay tuned for more...

No comments:

Post a Comment