For X00001, I’m looking for a date of death and place for Edwin Ashton, Lawrence Ashton’s older brother. The one lead I have is from the Ashton family bible:
The year of death is recorded as 1950. Interestingly, the listing for Edwin shows only the year of death, but for all of the other children there is a full date given. This implies to me that whoever was the owner of the bible was not likely in close contact with Edwin.
Here is a roundup of what I know so far:
- Edwin’s date of birth is November 12, 1884 in Blackburn, Lancashire, England [D00373]
- Edwin’s second marriage was in 1923 to Clara Scattergood Butler (b 1884) [D00737]
- Edwin seems to have moved back and forth between England and Canada. He was married in Canada, but he fought for the British Army in WW1.
- I haven’t found much in the way of evidence after 1923, although I have found Edwin and Clara were on a passenger list arriving in Glasgow, Scotland in 1939
So, assuming that the year of death of 1950 is accurate, the options for death location are Canada, Scotland, England or elsewhere.
I checked the Scotland death registrations for 1950 and did not find any Edwin Ashtons.
Death registrations are not yet available for 1950 in Ontario. See next steps below
I’ve found two Edwin Ashtons listed as having died in 1950:
- Ashton, Edwin. Age 85, Hitchin, Hertfordshire vol 4b p153 [D02301]
- Ashton, Edwin. Age 65 Alcester, Warwickshire vol 9c p2 [D00319]
For the second possibility [D00319], the informant on the registration is a son-in-law named E.W. Savage. I found a marriage record between an E.W. Savage and Edith Ashton [D00004] in 1942. So, the question is, is Edith Ashton the daughter of this Edwin Ashton? According to the marriage record, Edith would have been born about 1921 in Alcester, Warwickshire England and Edwin & Ellen Ashton would have been living in Canada in 1921, so very unlikely.
Since this is the least likely of the possibilities, I'm going to rule out the others before proceeding with this one.
- Wait for the 1950 Death registrations to be released for Ontario (should be in 2023)
- Continue to monitor Find a grave and other sites for Clara Ashton & Edwin Ashton in Canada/US cemeteries
- Possibly check 1945 register to see if he was living in Ontario then
- Check Ontario newspapers for a death notice
- Check Toronto Directories to see if living in Ontario